Five don’ts when negotiating a raise
If you feel that your efforts and skills are undervalued, there is nothing wrong with asking for a raise. If you get your point across to your boss, then you just might get that raise. On the other hand, you might see things from your boss’ perspective why you don’t deserve it yet. Asking for a raise is like walking on a tightrope – there are many ways to do it wrong and getting it right is a balancing act. Here are a few tips to help you get across.
- Do not ask for a raise when your company is cost cutting.
- Do not ask for a raise when your performance can’t back it up
- Do not ask for a raise when your boss is having a bad day
- Do not ask for a raise justifying it with you need more money
- Do not discuss personal matters, especially on money, when asking for a raise.
For more details on these tips, click here.